Hi,

I’m using 0.9.0.1 new-consumer api. I noticed that after kafka cleans up all
old log segments(reach delete.retention time), I got unknown offset.

bin/kafka-consumer-groups.sh --bootstrap-server server:9092 --new-consumer
--group testGroup --describe
GROUP, TOPIC, PARTITION, CURRENT OFFSET, LOG END OFFSET, LAG, OWNER
testGroup, test, 0, unknown, 49, unknown, consumer-1_/10.32.241.2
testGroup, test, 1, unknown, 61, unknown, consumer-1_/10.32.241.2

In this situation, I cannot consume anything using new-consumer java driver if
I disable auto-commit.
I think this happens because new-consumer driver stores offset in broker as a
topic(not in zookeeper), and after reaching delete.retention time, it got
deleted and becomes unknown. And since I disabled auto-commit, it can never
know where it is, then it cannot consume anything.

Is this what happened here? What should I do in this situation?

Thanks,
Jun