Note, however, that a load balancer can be useful for bootstrapping
purposes, i.e. use it for the bootstrap.servers setting to have a single
consistent value for the setting but allow the broker list to change over
time. From there, as Tom says, it'll start using broker hostnames and
automatically target the specific brokers it needs to communicate with.

-Ewen

On Fri, Jun 3, 2016 at 5:37 AM, cs user <acldstk...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Tom,
>
> That's great, I thought as much, thanks for taking the time to respond,
> much appreciated!
>
> Cheers
>
> On Fri, Jun 3, 2016 at 1:18 PM, Tom Crayford <tcrayf...@heroku.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Kafka is designed to distribute traffic between brokers itself. It's
> > naturally distributed and does not need, and indeed will not work behind
> > load balancer. I'd recommend reading the docs for more, but
> > http://kafka.apache.org/documentation.html#design_loadbalancing is a
> good
> > start.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Tom Crayford
> > Heroku Kafka
> >
> > On Fri, Jun 3, 2016 at 1:15 PM, cs user <acldstk...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi All,
> > >
> > > Does anyone have any experience of using kafka behind a load balancer?
> > >
> > > Would this work? Are there any reasons why you would not want to do it?
> > >
> > > Thanks!

Ewen