On Thursday 09 June 2016 08:00 PM, Patrick Kaufmann wrote:
Hello

Recently we’ve run into a problem when starting our application for the first
time.

At the moment all our topics are auto-created. Now, at the first start there
are no topics, so naturally some consumers try to connect to topics which don’t
exist.
Those consumers now fail quite consistently with the following error:
Skipping assignment for topic <topic-name> since no metadata is available

This then leads to the consumer not consuming any messages on that topic.
Take a look at "auto.offset.reset" property that you can pass to the consumers which is meant to deal with cases where the offsets aren't known/available for the topic. Depending on the version of Kafka you are using, the value of the property will be different, so check the relevant version documentation and see what value makes sense in your application.

-Jaikiran