Hi Jason,

We encountered a corrupted topic and when we attempt to delete it, it comes
> back with some unusable defaults. It's really, really annoying.

It sounds like you may have auto topic creation enabled and a client is
constantly requesting that topic causing it to be created. Try
setting auto.create.topics.enable=false. Note that this may cause that
client to fail.

We tried creating the topic with one broker down as the topics is only
> created on one broker but the tool requires all brokers online so that
> doesn't work. As an aside, creating a topic without all brokers online
> should be possible...
> /usr/bin/kafka-topics.sh --zookeeper localhost --create --topic
> job_processing --partitions 4 --replication-factor 2

How many brokers do you have? It sounds like you may only have 2 brokers
total (and one is down). If thats the case, the tool is no able to reach
the requested replication factor of 2 and fails. If you had 3 brokers and 1
were down, this should work.

Since delete doesn't do what most people would expect and actually delete,
> we can't delete once online so we are completely stuck.

True that delete functionality could be improved. However, assuming your
cluster and topics are healthy, delete should work as you expect and
actually delete. Do you have delete functionality enabled on your cluster?
Try setting delete.topic.enable=true.

Thanks,
Grant

--