It would be cool to know if Netflix runs kafka in ASGs ... I can't find any
mention of it online.  (https://github.com/Netflix/suro/wiki/FAQ sorta
implies that maybe they do, but it's not clear, and also old.)

I've seen other people talking about running kafka in ASGs, e.g.
http://blog.jimjh.com/building-elastic-clusters.html, but they all rely on
reusing broker IDs.  Which certainly makes it easier, but imho is the wrong
way to do this for all the reasons I listed before.