We're using AWS ECS for our Kafka cluster of six nodes. We did some
performance testing on a three node cluster and the results were as good as
the Linkedin published results on bare metal machines.

We are using EBS st1 drives. The bottleneck is the network to the ebs
volumes. So for about 25% more cost, we doubled our vms, using twice as
many 1/2 sized EBS volumes.

-Christian