If you're doing any kind of pre-aggregation during ETL, spark direct
stream will let you more easily get the delivery semantics you need,
especially if you're using a transactional data store.

If you're literally just copying individual uniquely keyed items from
kafka to a key-value store, use kafka consumers, sure.