I did it with HAPI API and Kafka producer way back when and it worked well.
Times have changed, If you consider using Apache Nifi, besides native HL7
processor, you can push to Kafka by dragging a processor on canvas. HL7
processor also is built on HAPI API. Here's an example but instead of Kafka
it's pushing to Solr, replacing solr processor with Kafka will do a trick.
Old and new consumer API is available.

https://community.hortonworks.com/articles/20318/visualize-patients-complaints-to-their-doctors-usi.html