This deteriorated somewhat rapidly. First it was using only 3 brokers (of
the five).. then 2.. finally only one broker/thread was doing all the work.

Then the topic/group stopped responding at all. Now if I call
'kafka-consumer-groups <bootstrap> <topic> --new-consumer --describe' all
it says is 'Consumer group `somegroup` is rebalancing.'

It's been doing this for about 30 minutes now so Im assuming it's
completely wedged.

Looks like other consumers are still running.

What did I do wrong here? How to fix it?

I've stopped all the consumers. No change.

Kafka 0.10.1.0