How is that about that when the segment size is reached, plus every single
message inside the segment is older than the retention time, then the
segment will be deleted?

I have playing with Kafka and I have the following:

bin/kafka-topics.sh --zookeeper localhost:2181 --alter --topic topic1
config retention.ms=60000

bin/kafka-topics.sh --zookeeper localhost:2181 --alter --topic topic1
—config file.delete.delay.ms=40000

bin/kafka-topics.sh --zookeeper localhost:2181 --alter --topic topic1
--config segment.bytes=400000

My understanding according to your thoughts is a segment will be deleted
when the segment reaches out the segment size above defined
(segment.bytes=400000) PLUS every single message within the segment is
older than the retention time above defined (retention.ms=60000).

What I noticed is a segment of just 35 bytes, which conteined just one
message, was deleted after the minute (maybe a little more). Therefore, the
segment size was not met in order to delete it.