Hi,

I have Kafka running on EC2 in AWS.
I would like to backup my data volumes daily in order to recover to a point
in time in case of a disaster.

One thing I’m worried about is that if I do an EBS snapshot while Kafka is
running, it seems a Kafka that recovers on it will have to deal with
corrupted logs (it goes through a repair / rebuild index process). It seems
that Kafka on shutdown properly closes the logs.

Questions:
1) If I take the EBS snapshots while Kafka is running, is it dangerous that
a new instance launched from this backup has to go through a repair process?
2) The other option I see is to stop the Kafka broker, and then take my EBS
snapshot. But I can’t do that for all brokers simultaneously as I would
lose my cluster, so therefore if I do: stop kafka broker, take snapshot,
start kafka, next broker same steps, I would get a clean backup, but not a
point in time backup… is that an issue?
3) Are there any other backup strategies I haven’t considered?

Thanks!
Stephane