Do you know about Kafka Streams? It's DSL gives you exactly what you
want to do.

Check out the documentation and WordCount example:

http://docs.confluent.io/current/streams/index.html
https://github.com/confluentinc/examples/blob/3.1.x/kafka-streams/src/main/java/io/confluent/examples/streams/WordCountLambdaExample.java

Let us know if you have further questions.

-Matthias