This sounds exactly as I would expect things to behave. If you consume from the
beginning I would think you would get all the messages but not if you consume
from the latest offset. You can separately tune the metadata refresh interval
if you want to miss fewer messages but that still won't get you all messages
from the beginning if you don't explicitly consume from the beginning.

Sent from my iPhone