Hi,

In our application we create and delete topics dynamically. In our dev/test
environment, where we create and delete a lot of topics, I've noticed that the
memory usage of the Kafka brokers slowly increases and then noticed the huge
amount of MBeans related to topics that should have been deleted (e.g.
kafka.server:type=BrokerTopicMetrics,name=TotalProduceRequestsPerSec,topic=dw_06b5f828-e452-4e22-89c9-67849a65603d).

Also, deleting a topic often produces (what I think is) noise in the logs at
WARN level, for example:
2017-01-13 14:52:46 WARN  PartitionStateMachine$DeleteTopicsListener:83 -
[DeleteTopicsListener on 1]: Ignoring request to delete non-existing topics
dw_fe8ff14b-aa9b-4f24-9bc1-6fbce15d20d2

This behaviour is easy to reproduce with a basic Kafka cluster with two
brokers, just create and delete topics few times. Sometimes the MBeans for the
topic are deleted and sometimes not.

Maybe I'm deleting the topics in the wrong way? I'm using the AdminUtils class
in the Java API:
AdminUtils.deleteTopic(zkUtils, topicName);

Topics are created using the AdminUtils class as well:
AdminUtils.createTopic(zkUtils, topicName, partitions, replicationFactor,
topicConfiguration, kafka.admin.RackAwareMode.Enforced$.MODULE$);

The Kafka version is 0.10.0.1.

Thanks,
Alberto

NatWest Markets is a marketing name of The Royal Bank of Scotland plc.

This communication and any attachments are confidential and intended solely for
the addressee. If you are not the intended recipient please advise us
immediately and delete it. Unless specifically stated in the message or
otherwise indicated, you may not duplicate, redistribute or forward this
message and any attachments are not intended for distribution to, or use by any
person or entity in any jurisdiction or country where such distribution or use
would be contrary to local law or regulation. The Royal Bank Of Scotland plc or
any affiliated entity ("RBS") accepts no responsibility for any changes made to
this message after it was sent.

Unless otherwise specifically indicated, the contents of this communication and
its attachments are for information purposes only and should not be regarded as
an offer or solicitation to buy or sell a product or service, confirmation of
any transaction, a valuation, indicative price or an official statement. Where
this communication has been prepared by an RBS trading desk, that desk may have
a position or interest in the products or services mentioned that is
inconsistent with any views expressed in this message. In evaluating the
information contained in this message, you should know that it could have been
previously provided to other clients and/or internal RBS personnel, who could
have already acted on it.

RBS cannot provide absolute assurances that all electronic communications (sent
or received) are secure, error free, not corrupted, incomplete or virus free
and/or that they will not be lost, mis-delivered, destroyed, delayed or
intercepted/decrypted by others. Therefore RBS disclaims all liability with
regards to electronic communications (and the contents therein) if they are
corrupted, lost destroyed, delayed, incomplete, mis-delivered, intercepted,
decrypted or otherwise misappropriated by others.

Any electronic communication that is conducted within or through RBS systems
will be subject to being archived, monitored and produced to regulators and in
litigation in accordance with RBS's policy and local laws, rules and
regulations. Unless expressly prohibited by local law, electronic
communications may be archived in countries other than the country in which you
are located, and may be treated in accordance with the laws and regulations of
the country of each individual included in the entire chain.

Copyright 2014 The Royal Bank of Scotland plc. All rights reserved. See
http://www.natwestmarkets.com/legal/s-t-discl.html for further risk disclosure.