We plan to, but there is quite a bit of functionality that needs to be
abstracted by requests to the broker. Most of the functionality in the
topics command that interacts directly with ZK will be replaced by KIP-4
protocols (
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/KIP-4+-+Command+line+and+centralized+administrative+operations)
and gradually transitioned over. Just as with the new clients, this
implementation and transition will take some time.

-Ewen