probably fighting an uphill battle sending cleartext POSTS and GETS with REST
calls

most apache server folk who secure HTTP 1.1 server will front end with CA
(provided by thawte,verisign,GeoTrust)

https://www.geotrust.com

[https://seal.geotrust.com/getgeotrustsslseal?at=0&sealid=1&dn=www.geotrust.com&lang=en&gmtoff=0]<https://www.geotrust.com/>

GeoTrust® | Purchase SSL Certificates & Code Signing
...<https://www.geotrust.com/>
www.geotrust.com
Guarantee online customer security with SSL certificates from GeoTrust.
Purchase in bulk, manage multiple certificates & become your own Certificate
Authority.

once the credentials from cert are validated against <CA/Client> nameserver
(LDAP) and the keys match

a secure handshake is initiated and the SSL request is redirected to your HTTP
1.1 server

does this help?

Martin

LoveChatTranscript October 2016