@Pradeep - I just read your thread, the 1hr pause was when all the
consumers where shutdown simultaneously.  I'm testing out rolling restart
to get the actual numbers. The initial numbers are promising.

`STOP (1) (1min later kicks off) -> REBALANCE -> START (1) -> REBALANCE
(takes 1min to get a partition)`

In your thread, Ewen says -

"The LeaveGroupRequest is only sent on a graceful shutdown. If a
consumer knows it is going to
shutdown, it is good to proactively make sure the group knows it needs to
rebalance work because some of the partitions that were handled by the
consumer need to be handled by some other group members."

So does this mean that the consumer should inform the group ahead of
time before it goes down? Currently, I just shutdown the process.