Hi there,

Sorry for the late reply, I was out this past week. Looks like good progress
was made with the discussions either way. Let me recap a couple of points I saw
into one big reply:

1. Jan mentioned CRC errors. I think this is a good point. As these happen in
Kafka, before Kafka Streams gets a chance to inspect anything, I'd like to hear
the opinion of more Kafka folks like Ismael or Jason on this one. Currently the
documentation is not great with what to do once a CRC check has failed. From
looking at the code, it looks like the client gets a KafkaException (bubbled up
from the fetcher) and currently we in streams catch this as part of poll() and
fail. It might be advantageous to treat CRC handling in a similar way to
serialisation handling (e.g., have the option to fail/skip). Let's see what the
other folks say. Worst-case we can do a separate KIP for that if it proved too
hard to do in one go.

2. Damian has convinced me that the KIP should just be for deserialisation from
the network, not from local state store DBs. For the latter we'll follow the
current way of failing since the DB is likely corrupt.

3. Dead letter queue option. There was never any intention here to do anything
super clever like attempt to re-inject the failed records from the dead letter
queue back into the system. Reasoning about when that'd be useful in light of
all sorts of semantic breakings would be hard (arguably impossible). The idea
was to just have a place to have all these dead records to help with subsequent
debugging. We could also just log a whole bunch of info for a poison pill
record and not have a dead letter queue at all. Perhaps that's a better,
simpler, starting point.

4. Agree with Jay on style, a DefaultHandler with some config options. Will add
options to KIP. Also as part of this let's remove the threshold logger since it
gets complex and arguably the ROI is low.

5. Jay's JSON example, where serialisation passes but the JSON message doesn't
have the expected fields, is an interesting one. It's a bit complicated to
handle this in the middle of processing. For example, some operators in the DAG
might actually find the needed JSON fields and make progress, but other
operators, for the same record, might not find their fields and will throw an
exception.

At a minimum, handling this type of exception will need to involve the
exactly-once (EoS) logic. We'd still allow the option of failing or skipping,
but EoS would need to clean up by rolling back all the side effects from the
processing so far. Matthias, how does this sound?

6. Will add an end-to-end example as Michael suggested.

Thanks
Eno