Hi,

First I apologise and should just correct myself. I should use "Disk/File
level operations" instead of using "I/O" since that refers to different
things.

What I mean to say that file deletion/renaming doesn't work even when you
provide full permissions in Windows. But Unix/Linux based system it's okay.
This can be called as "Deletion/Renaming of shared files" i.e. which are
already opened for appending/editing.

As an example try to run the uni tests for Kafka on Windows where file
renaming/deletion occurs as part of the tests.They will fail. But same
process works all good on Linux.

>From the official documentation, Kafka has already made a disclaimer that
Windows Implementation is not fully vetted (in progress). I believe all the
top examples from LinkedIn are based on Unix/Linux. You are actually okay
to do PoC activities on windows - log retention/rename/deletion will work
fine.

I hope this helps you understand.

KR,