The changelog is one created by kafka streams, then it is a compacted topic
and the retention period is irrelevant. If it is one you have created
yourself and isn't compacted, then the data will be retained in the topic
for as long as the retention period.
If you use a non-compacted topic and the kafka-streams instance crashes
then that data may be lost from the state store as it will use the topic to
restore its state.