From: Skip Montanaro [mailto:skip.montan...@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, November 28, 2017 8:06 AM
To: users@kafka.apache.org
Subject: Multiple brokers - do they share the load?

Apologies for the rather long set-up...

I've been using Kafka as a client for a few months now. The setup I've been
using has three brokers on separate servers, all listening to port 9092. My
consumers always connected to server1:9092. I've ignored
server2 and server3.

Now I'm starting to mess around a bit with setting up my own itsy-bitsy
cluster. Step one is a single instance at host1:9092. Next step in the
instructions (I'm following the recipe laid out in the
documentation) will be to add two more brokers at host1:9093 and host1:9094.

My question: If every consumer connects to host1:9092 will the brokers
listening to the other ports starve for attention, or does the connection
process somehow redirect clients to the other brokers so the three (or more)
brokers get fairly equitable loads?

Thanks,

Skip Montanaro

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential, may contain
sensitive information, and are intended solely for the use of the individual or
entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this e-mail in error,
please notify the sender by reply e-mail immediately and destroy all copies of
the e-mail and any attachments.