Helo Srikanth,

Thanks for reporting this, as I checked the code
skippedDueToDeserializationError is effectively only recorded when the
DeserializationHandlerResponse is not set to FAIL. I agree it is not
exactly matching the documentation's guidance, and will try to file a JIRA
and fix it.

As for skippedDueToDeserializationError and skipped-records-rate, there is
an open JIRA discussing about this:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KAFKA-6376, just FYI.

Could you share on which version of Kafka did you observe this issue?

Guozhang

--
-- Guozhang