Thanks a lot for the clear answer.

One of the concerns that I have is that it's not always obvious when the
default serializers are used. e.g. it looks like KGroupedStream#reduce also
uses the default serializer under the hood. If one gets the default
serializer wrong then she gets run time errors in serialization /
de-serialization (ClassCastException etc.), which are quite hard to track
down.