If you set *message.timestamp.type* (or *log.message.timestamp.type*) to be
LogAppendTime, this would make sense.

I am new to Kafka, too, and if this was set to CreateTime, I don't know
what the behavior would be.  There is *message.timestamp.difference.max.ms
<http://message.timestamp.difference.max.ms>* setting too, so there seem to
be certain "boundedness" of how much clock skew is allowed between the
producer and the broker, so you could implement various types of policies
(min, max, etc) for this API.

--

*Steve JangPRINCIPAL ENGINEER Mobile +1.206.384.2999  |
Support +1.800.340.9194