Hi,

I am trying to change the number of partitions for __consumer_offsets topic
by using the following command. However, I get an error stating "Number of
partitions for offsets topic cannot be changed"

*/opt/kafka/bin/kafka-topics.sh --zookeeper <zookeeper> --alter --topic
__consumer_offsets --partitions 54       *

Error while executing topic command : The number of partitions for the
offsets topic cannot be changed.
ERROR java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: The number of partitions for the
offsets topic cannot be changed.
at
kafka.admin.TopicCommand$$anonfun$alterTopic$1.apply(TopicCommand.scala:142)

Environment details:

   1. 3 zookeepers and 3 kafka brokers (version 1.0.1)
   2. After deploying kafka, I tried the kafka-topics command (above) to
   increase it partitions. But it fails. Can someone please help me understand
   why? Am I missing something?
   3. I want to distribute partitions leaders equally among brokers. So
   want to increase the number of partitions for offsets topic.

Thanks in advance.

Tanvi