What you've described should work. A producer can send to a single
partition topic.

"When I run consumers to connect to the Topic I see no messages"

But you can't have more than one consumer in a consumer group consuming,
anything beyond the first consumer won't have a partition assigned to it
since a partition can only be assigned to one consumer in a consumer group.