Without JMX may be difficult.. why not install an agent and report to an
external service like ELK or new Relic?

That’s long standing industry pattern.

Some reading.. and some tools in the readings.. these articles are opinionated
towards the vendors that published them but its a starting point.

https://blog.serverdensity.com/how-to-monitor-kafka/
https://www.datadoghq.com/blog/monitoring-kafka-performance-metrics/