Hi

What is the performance impact of setting `max.poll.records=1` as opposed to
the default of 500?

I have a Java application which process records one at a time. The processing
time varies between messages, so we sometimes exceed the `max.poll.interval.ms`.
While I could increase `max.poll.interval.ms` it would prevent me from
detecting a livelock in the application quickly.
There's no benefit of batching the records so I'm considering setting
`max.poll.records=1`. We can define a sensible upper limit for the processing
time of a single record.

I've tried to look at the code and it seems that it fetches up to `
fetch.max.bytes` and then keep it in-memory and returns records from the
fetched data when `poll()` is called.

So what is the performance impact of a low `max.poll.records`?

Best regards,
Mads