No I want to check plain user credentials for authentication against an
external system. Where best to plug in this check. I thought the new
AuthenticateCallbackHandler would be convenient, but I am very much in doubt if
this is the right way. It is also not clear for me from the docs how to
implement this.

Please see my stackoverflow question for a minimal test setup which I try to
get working.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/50412589/kafka-custom-authenticatecallbackhandler

Any help/pointers/examples is much appreciated!