That's unusually large. Ours are around 32k-90mb each. Initially curious if
you
have log.cleaner.enable=true and what offsets.retention.minutes is set to.

And yes it can affect cluster performance. We had instances of consumer
outages
that were caused by bugged large consumer offfset files, especially during
broker restarts where that partition had an index repair, or during
leadership
changes, correlating with a large IO spike where presumably the whole
partition
is read.

for a given large partition, are the replicas the same size in each broker?
It's
possible for the log cleaner thread to die which needs a broker restart to
possibly fix, and investigation if it keeps dying. Do you see any errors in
your
logs around that topic-partition?

You can check (and monitor) the JMX metric for
kafka.log:type=LogCleanerManager,name=time-since-last-run-ms which if the
cleaner thread has died should be quite high. Our is normally around 15s.

ps: https://twitter.com/gwenshap/status/1026888706429353986