Hi John and Matthias
thanks for the questions, maybe explaining our use case helps a bit:
We are receiving CDC records (row-level insert/update/delete) in one topic
per table. The key is derived from the DB records, the value is null in
case of deletes. Those would be the immutable facts I guess.
These topics are first streamed through a deduplication Transformer to drop
changes on irrelevant fields.
The results are translated to KTables and joined to each other to represent
the same result as the SQLs on the database, but faster. At this stage the
delete/null records matter because if a record gets deleted then we want it
to drop out of the join too. -> Our reduce-approach produced unexpected
results here.
We took the deduplication step separately because in some cases we only
need the the KStream for processing.
If you see a simpler/cleaner approach here I'm open to suggestions, of
course.

Regarding the overhead:
1) Named topics create management/maintenance overhead because they have to
be created/treated separately (auto-create is not an option) and be
considered in future changes, topology changes/resets and so on. The
internal topic removes most of those issues.
2) One of our developers came up with the question if the traffic to/from
the broker was actually the same in both scenarios, we expect that the same
is written to the broker for the named topic as well as the reduce-case,
but if the KTable is maintained inside a streams topology, does it have to
read back everything it sends to the broker or can it keep the table
internally? I hope it is understandable what I mean, otherwise I can try
the explain it more clearly.

best regards

Patrik