Hello Sachit, I think that's the first question all of us ask our self when
facing that moment, "Ok, but, how many partitions do we need?"

I would say, according to my experience, that directly depends on your
business and the kind of problem you are trying to solve, how many
consumer and producers that topic will have, and so on.

I would recommend reading the blog post "How to choose the number of
topics/partitions in a Kafka cluster
<https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:Kum1ZTnjfKUJ:https://www.confluent.io/blog/how-choose-number-topics-partitions-kafka-cluster+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk>".
Also, as a general advice, plan ahead your topic configuration and size,
otherwise you could regret in the future.

Last, but not least, this presentation from Gwen Shapira  How much Kafka?
<https://www.slideshare.net/ConfluentInc/how-much-kafka/ConfluentInc/how-much-kafka>
is a good resource.

Hope that helps.
--