From: n...@afshartous.com <n...@afshartous.com>
Sent: 17 January 2019 02:52
To: users@kafka.apache.org
Subject: Prioritized Topics for Kafka

Hi all,

On the dev list we’ve been discussing a proposed new feature (prioritized
topics).  In a nutshell, when consuming from a set of topics with assigned
priorities, consumption from lower-priority topics only occurs if there’s no
data flowing in from a higher-priority topic.

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/KIP-349%3A+Priorities+for+Source+Topics

<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/KIP-349:+Priorities+for+Source+Topics>

One question is are there use-cases for the proposed API.  If you think this
would be useful and have use-cases in mind please reply with the use-cases.

Its also possible to implement prioritization with the existing API by using a
combination of pausing, resuming, and local buffering.  The question is then
does it make sense to introduce the proposed higher-level API to make this
easier ?

The responses will be used as input to determine if we move ahead with the
proposal.  Thanks in advance for input.

Cheers,
--
      Nick

The contents of this email and any attachment are confidential to the intended
recipient(s). If you are not an intended recipient: (i) do not use, disclose,
distribute, copy or publish this email or its contents; (ii) please contact the
sender immediately; and (iii) delete this email. Our privacy policy is
available here: https://origamienergy.com/privacy-policy/. Origami Energy
Limited (company number 8619644); Origami Storage Limited (company number
10436515) and OSSPV001 Limited (company number 10933403), each registered in
England and each with a registered office at: Ashcombe Court, Woolsack Way,
Godalming, GU7 1LQ.