Do you mean this node-kafka from 4 years ago
(https://github.com/sutoiku/node-kafka)?

If so that’s a very very old client, only supports Apache Kafka 0.8 and stores
offsets in zookeeper (which Kafka 0.9 and above no longer do).

I recommend you use a more up to date nodejs kafka client than this one.

-hans