The integration part of Apache Kafka that you're talking about is
called Kafka Connect. Kafka Connect runs as its own process, known as
a Kafka Connect Worker, either on its own or as part of a cluster. Kafka
Connect will usually be deployed on a separate instance from the Kafka
brokers.

Kafka Connect connectors will usually connect to the external system over
the network if that makes sense (e.g. a database) but not always (e.g. if
its acting as a syslog endpoint, or maybe processing local files).

You can learn more about Kafka Connect and its deployment model here:
https://rmoff.dev/crunch19-zero-to-hero-kafka-connect

--

Robin Moffatt | Senior Developer Advocate | ro...@confluent.io | @rmoff