So if the stream is:

A:1:FOO
A:3:BAR
A:3:BAZ

Then A:3* must be processed after A:1  but A:3:BAR and A:3:BAZ can be processed
in any order?

I don’t think there is a way to do that with topics.
-Dave

From: Andre Mermegas <and...@gmail.com>
Date: Wednesday, September 2, 2020 at 4:06 PM
To: "users@kafka.apache.org" <users@kafka.apache.org>
Subject: [External] key and subkey sequential processing across competing
consumer groups?

Hi All,

New to kafka and would love some feedback on how to think about a solution for
this kind of flow:

So, sequencing must be maintained for events of type X:Y:PAYLOAD

Where X is a grouping mechanism and all X must be processed sequentially e.g.
account number, (ok i use key here to keep these in sequence)

But Y is a secondary grouping and distribution variable, that will fan out to
competing consumers for each type of Y

e.g. where y=A it goes to a topic of competing consumers and where y=B it goes
out to a different topic of competing consumers, etc..Each competing consumer
group is configured to handle only Ys of its type. All Xs must consumed
sequentially, across distributed consumer groups even those fanned out with a
subkey of Y

How do I keep it sequential processing FIFO across? I know I can use a key to
sequence by X in a topic partition for sequential processing, but it breaks
down from there for me as I also need to sequence by Y. Is there a good built
in way to handle this type of problem? Am I thinking about it wrong?

I hope this is somewhat clear? thanks for any input!

looks something like this maybe:

[cid:ii_kelvcjxy1]

-Andre
This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential, may contain
sensitive information, and are intended solely for the use of the individual or
entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this e-mail in error,
please notify the sender by reply e-mail immediately and destroy all copies of
the e-mail and any attachments.