The first is definitely worth a read, even the chapters that are perhaps
somewhat out of date (e.g., cluster replication focused on Mirror Maker v1)
are still useful in how they describe the various ways to run multiple
clusters - hot/hot, hot/warm, stretch etc.

Also, the chapter on monitoring and which metrics offer the most value is
great for anyone looking to set up some decent monitoring off the back of
Prometheus' jmx_exporter or Datadog's similar JMX functionality and Grafana
etc.

I also really recommend I <3 Logs by Jay Kreps, it's short, high level, I
think I finished it on one bus ride, but gives a great description of the
log-based architecture LinkedIn built around Kafka, and was instrumental in
convincing me, and my bosses(!) that Kafka would be an ideal backbone for
our data streams in my previous company.

Cheers,

Liam Clarke-Hutchinson