Hi Sahil,

Regarding CVE-2023-31582 it affects jose4j versions prior to 0.9.3 (not
included). Apache Kafka has been using jose4j version 0.9.3 for a while
now, it was introduced in this commit[1] on May 13.
Since Kafka 3.4.1 all versions have been shipped with jose4j 0.9.3. Please
note that NVE's CVE page[2] states that this affects "Up to (excluding):
0.9.3". Also, jose4j release notes[3] specify that this specific
vulnerability was fixed on 0.9.3.

How did you detect that Kafka was affected by CVE-2023-31582?

Best,

[1]:
https://github.com/apache/kafka/commit/fa7818dff5a28048401654a7497e56dbc988b755
[2]: https://nvd.nist.gov/vuln/detail/CVE-2023-31582#range-9713327
[3]: https://bitbucket.org/b_c/jose4j/wiki/Release%20Notes

--
[image: Aiven] <https://www.aiven.io>

*Josep Prat*
Open Source Engineering Director, *Aiven*
josep.p...@aiven.io   |   +491715557497
aiven.io <https://www.aiven.io>   |   <https://www.facebook.com/aivencloud>
  <https://www.linkedin.com/company/aiven/>   <https://twitter.com/aiven_io>
*Aiven Deutschland GmbH*
Alexanderufer 3-7, 10117 Berlin
Geschäftsführer: Oskari Saarenmaa & Hannu Valtonen
Amtsgericht Charlottenburg, HRB 209739 B