This is just a conjecture though, one possible reason I can imagine is
traffic increase => request queue full => request latency increase => more
batching on client-side => overall request-count decrease => CPU-usage
decrease.
You should check request-count metric.

At any rate, full-request-queue situation is not desired so you should
figure out the cause and address that for stable cluster operation.

--
Okada Haruki