Hi Denny,

I believe the problem you're describing is the motivation for KIP-853
[1] which is currently under discussion for 3.8.
If you're performing a rolling upgrade, I believe the current
recommendation is to use DNS to "re-assign" the controller from one
machine to another.
If you're running every broker as a controller, you can also switch to
running a fixed set of controllers for the first 3 or first 5 nodes,
and then begin adding broker-only nodes after that.
If you're trying to permanently increase the number of controllers, I
am not aware of a workaround that does not include downtime.

Hope this helps.
Greg

[1]
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/KIP-853%3A+KRaft+Controller+Membership+Changes