Hi Anthony

We had implemented a solution something similar to one explained by
Chris(sol-2). The messaging server we used was Netscape Messaging server 4.x
It had an option of adding user defined "plug-in" on SMTP server . My plugin
would tap new message before it reaches mailbox , extract the required
content (Sender email add, Subject, Date, Priority) and forward it to a
server program over socket. The server program will validate the user ,
check his notification status and then construct a SMS and forward it to
SMSC.

----------------      --------- --------------    -----  ------
Messaging Server| -->| Plug-in |-->| Server Program|-->| SMSGw|-->| SMSC |
----------------            ---------   ---------------   -----  ------
    ---------------
-->| Mobile Device |
    ---------------

Adv of this method:
1) You don't need user id or password before hand.
2) No polling , it is trigger based
3) No issues of msg shown read or error if mailbox is open.

If you have other queries do let me know.

FYI: We have off-the-self product available , should you feel a business
case do write back to me .

regards,
-Saurabh Bhardwaj
Wipro Technologies.