In my system (Mandrake 8.2) xml2-config returns only
/usr/include/libxml2. I think this is correct, and all the files that
include libxml headers should include them as
#include <libxml/xmlheader.h>
*some of the source files already are doing it properly* (!) while some
are not. its the same inconsistency with the mysql includes (which I
complained about in the past).
I think that we should make sure that includes are always consistant the
path were they expect the files to be, and to make that expectation work
on out-of-the-box on the maximum number of setups as possible - my
reconning is that this means we should change all libxml includes to use
the libxml path element.

Patch to fix includes as I suggest is attached

--
Oded Arbel
m-Wise Inc.

::..
"If you can't win by reason, go for volume."
        -- Calvin and Hobbes