When roaming, the SMS is first routed to the home SMSC of the roaming user, and then if apropriate is sent back to the mobile terminal of the foreign local user. I'm not sure if the SMSC of the foreign local user is involved in the process.

In the two local networks scenario, then its dependant on various conditions - the most important of them is of course the technology used in the involved networks : if the technologies differ, then both SMSCs are involved, in addition to any sort of passthrough mechanism used to transfer messages between the networks. if both networks use the same technology, then it's the same situation as with sending an SMS to a foreign network. I guess its also depends on the e

-----Original Message-----
From: Calvin Boo [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, May 21, 2002 11:27 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: SMS roaming & timestamp

Appreciate anyone who can help shed some enlightenment on the subject of SMS roaming and timestamp.

Question:

1. If a user travelling to a foreign country has roamed to another host network, and he sends an SMS from his mobile to a local terminal in the host country, where does the SMS get sent to first :

(a) the home SMSC then routed to the host SMSC
(b) routed via the host SMSC then fwd to home SMSC
(c) host SMSC then directly to receiving terminal

2. What then is the timestamp on the SMS arriving at the receiving terminal, if multiple SMSCs are involved?

3. In a separate scenario, if two users on different networks in the same country send each other a message, I guess both network SMSCs will be involved in the routing process. Who affixes the timestamp on the SMS?  The sender SMSC or does the receiver SMSC replace the timestamp of the SMS received from sender SMSC.

Thanks a million for the help.

Best Regards,

Calvin Boo
Singapore