could be that index.html is not being parsed by php.

usually, an installation of php would tell you to add the .php and
optionally (but not for public servers) the .phps extensions to be parsed by
php.  Have a look in httpd.conf and search for "php" - you can either add
.html or change the .html to .php.  i'd recommend the latter if you are
serving normal html files from that webserver as there is an overhead in php
parsing files unnecessarily.

another issue could be that you maybe making a request to a directory (e.g.
http://somewhere.com/kannel/contrib/php-admin/) and you are assuming that
the webserver will pick up index.php.  this is not the case by default and
you'll have to add "index.php" to the "DirectoryIndex" directive.

it does seem like a webserver problem as the php doesnt appear to be being
executed.

best of luck,

wilf