From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Behalf Of Mike Migurski
Sent: dinsdag 13 januari 2004 23:45
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: new to WAP, a basic question

Hello,

I'm new to WAP so I apologize if my questions are uninformed. I'm
attempting to set myself up with my own WAP gateway, because Verizon's
default MSN gateway isn't useful to me. I have attempted to use
waptunnel.com's, but its availability has been less than passable.

My question is this: is it enough to have a server with a static IP,
running kannel's wapbox software, to have a WAP gateway? There is a
section in the user docs that describes modems and other associated
hardware, but nothing else I have seen in the docs or in the past 5 months
of this list's archives (I've checked back to August) indicates that I
might need anything other than a valid IP address.

I have kannel installed, and I'm running bearerbox and wapbox (on RH 9). I
have attempted to telnet to the configured port from a remote machine to
verify that the server is running, and have seen connection attempts
correctly logged by bearerbox (though not by wapbox). When I try to do
this same thing using my handset, a Nokia 3589i, the server connection
times out, and the bearerbox log does not register any attempt.

What am I missing here? Could this be a case of my provider blocking my
ability to connect to third-party gateways? I have tried to use the same
port as verizon with no success, and I can also connect to phone.com's
gateway if I need to, so I'm not sure that's the issue.

Any help, explanation, or pointers to a more informative source than
kannel.org's docs in the case of an "RTFM" would be greatly appreciated.

-mike.

sf/ca            http://mike.teczno.com/contact.html