From: Alejandro Guerrieri [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, March 12, 2008 9:43 PM
To: users@kannel.org
Subject: Re: GUI

I wouldn't add any external program or service dependency just to admin
kannel.

Kannel already have some moderate admin commands on it's HTTP interface, but
there's no way to control it when is down, of course (since the process that
runs the interface would be also down...).

Whatever the GUI does, it should not add the need to run a complete web
server with php on the same server where kannel runs. On high-performance
deployments, that's a no-no.

IMHO the best approach would be to extend the already in place admin
interface if neccesary, and add a method to start kannel by external means
(an xinetd entry or a tiny daemon listening on a port and starting kannel
when asked, for example).

Then, a GUI could be made that communicate with kannel using HTML or XML.
That GUI could be on any box (even on the same) and be developed on any
language, since it would be just a wrapper around kannel's admin interface.

Regards,

Alejandro