You could use the "include" feature to simplify management:
Have one file with the settings to be shared among all instances (core
groups, etc). Then, have one file per instance and put there settings that
only apply to that instance. Use an "include" directive to add the global
file (probably at the beginning).

Using this method, you avoid having to tweak many files to change global
settings.

Hope it helps,

Alejandro