Apart from being better options like lighthttpd for handling high
traffic, 50 requests/sec is VERY low for ANY web server.
If you're using Apache and you're not able to handle 50 requests/sec
then you got a very bad configured Apache installation (or a very low
end server)

If you're using MySQL < 5.1 to store the DLRs on InnoDB tables which
have an auto increment column it can really suck, since auto
increments on MySQL < 5.1 are very resource consuming and produce
locking. In theory MySQL 5.1 corrects this problem.

Hope this helps.

Regards

--
Juan Nin