Its not Kannel the bottleneck.

If you use mysql backend, check the parallel insert , if they are complicated
or not ..
Kannel is able to kill any not good configured web server.
100/s is nothing for Kannel, keep in mind the retry mechanism, if the backend
server is dead ,
even you restart the backend, the retry request will be waiting and they will
kill it again :)