From: Dlamini Langa Phillip
Sent: Monday, August 09, 2010 11:58 AM
To: 'Nikos Balkanas'
Cc: 'users@kannel.org'
Subject: RE: Modem Nokia N73 problem

Hi

I think did everything mentioned wvdial.conf, the modem gets initialised
but doesnot give me IP to connect to internet. System: RED HAT LINUX
Desktop with modem Nokia N73 through USB cable.

Here is my wdial.conf:, created with wvdialconf create

FIRST STEP:
 I run this command on the terminal
# sudo /sbin/modprobe usbserial vendor=0x0421 product=0x0486

SECOND STEP:
 I run the command :wvdialconf create , on the terminal , it showed the
output as following,

[r...@localhost ~]# wvdialconf create
Scanning your serial ports for a modem.

Port Scan<*1>: S0 S1 S2 S3
WvModem<*1>: Cannot get information for serial port.
TtyUSB0<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 -- OK
ttyUSB0<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 Z -- OK
ttyUSB0<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 -- OK
ttyUSB0<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 -- OK
ttyUSB0<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 -- OK
ttyUSB0<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0 -- OK
ttyUSB0<*1>: Modem Identifier: ATI -- Nokia
ttyUSB0<*1>: Speed 4800: AT -- OK
ttyUSB0<*1>: Speed 9600: AT -- OK
ttyUSB0<*1>: Speed 19200: AT -- OK
ttyUSB0<*1>: Speed 38400: AT -- OK
ttyUSB0<*1>: Speed 57600: AT -- OK
ttyUSB0<*1>: Speed 115200: AT -- OK
ttyUSB0<*1>: Speed 230400: AT -- OK
ttyUSB0<*1>: Speed 460800: AT -- OK
ttyUSB0<*1>: Max speed is 460800; that should be safe.
ttyUSB0<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0 -- OK

Found an USB modem on /dev/ttyUSB0.
Modem configuration written to create.
ttyUSB0<Info>: Speed 460800; init "ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0"

THIRD STEP:
I THEN PASTE THE BELOW SCRIPT IN THE FILE etc/wvdial.conf

[Dialer Defaults]
Modem = /dev/ ttyUSB0
Baud = 460800
Init1 = ATZ
Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
ISDN = 0
Modem Type = Analog Modem
Phone = *99***1#
Username = gp
Password = gp
Stupid Mode = 1

FOURTH STEP

 I then open terminal with root permissions and run the command :
wvdial.

the output was as follows :

[r...@localhost ~]# wvdial
--> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.53.0
--> Warning: section [Dialer Default] does not exist in wvdial.conf..
--> Initializing modem.
--> Sending: ATZ
ATZ
OK
--> Sending: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
OK
--> Modem initialized.
--> Sending: ATDT*99#
--> Waiting for carrier.
ATDT*99#
CONNECT
--> Carrier detected. Starting PPP immediately.
--> Starting pppd at Mon Aug 9 11:36:29 2010
--> pid of pppd: 4855
The problems it stop here and I DON'T KNOW WHY? OR THE PHONE IS NOT
COMPACTIBLE TO BE USED AS A M